Monday, May 5, 2008

On This Day...

May 5, 1961: The First American in Space... From Cape Canaveral, Florida, Navy Commander Alan Bartlett Shepard Jr. was launched into space aboard the Freedom 7 space capsule, becoming the first American astronaut to travel into space. Alan Shepard's first flight into space lasted only 15 minutes and 28 seconds, traveled at a maximum velocity of 5.134 miles per hour, reached an altitude of 116.5 statute miles, and traveled a distance of 303 statute miles.
I vividly remember this event! I was in elementary school and the whole class was so excited-we all sat at our desks around the classroom television set and anxiously awaited the event that had been talked about for so many weeks previously. I remember all the hype - we were going to watch history in the making! I recall how much we looked forward to that monumental event, but before we knew it the 15 minute suborbital flight was over! ...I had hardly gotten settled at my desk!

No comments: